Group Leader – Fermentation – Saffron Walden – £55K+
Role and Responsibilities
The role will contribute to the preclinical development of novel medicines comprising a consortium of live bacteria delivered orally to the intestinal tract. The first programmes are in C. difficile infection, currently in preclinical development, and in ulcerative colitis. The successful candidate will be responsible for in-house fermentation of multiple anaerobic gut bacteria that comprise the medicine, characterising and optimising their growth and providing support for upstream and downstream method development and optimisation.
The major areas of responsibility are:
- Leading a small team, develop fermentation processes to produce live bacterial therapeutics comprising multiple bacterial strains
- Performing anaerobic fermentation of bacteria from microtiter plates to small fermenters
- Maintaining an awareness of latest technologies and equipment for incorporation into company labs
- Optimising media for growth of physiologically diverse bacteria
- Equipment maintenance
- Ensuring detailed records of experiments are kept, suitable for supporting regulatory filings.
- Supporting process transfer to CDMOs
Essential requirements for this post include:
- PhD in relevant discipline eg: Microbiology or Bioprocess Engineering with focus on fermentation and cell harvest or experience in equivalent closely-related discipline
- 5 years post-doctoral experience in a bioprocess development environment utilising fermentation technology
- Experience of optimising biotech processes and methodologies that can be applied to microbiome research.
- Ability to rigorously plan and accurately document research activities
Desirable requirements for this post include:
- Experience of leading small teams
- Experience of using Design of Experiments (DOE)
- Expertise in handling and culturing anaerobic bacteria
- Experience of developing processes for subsequent application in GMP manufacture
- Experience of process technology transfer to external companies
- Experience of freeze drying of bacteria
- Experience of biobanking and the maintenance of culture collections
The following personal attributes are essential:
- A high level of leadership and initiative.
- A team worker with willingness to contribute flexibly as required
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in the UK
Salary per: Annum
Job Start Date: